Skip to main content

The Housing Ombudsman Service

Making a complaint | What happens when I complain | Complaint process explained | Putting things right

We always aim to resolve a complaint ourselves within our internal process. We recognise sometimes this is not possible.  At the end of our internal process, a customer may choose to ask the Housing Ombudsman Service to investigate their complaint.

Prior to approaching the Housing Ombudsman, a customer will need to approach a designated person. A designated person is a person who can refer a complaint to the Housing Ombudsman on behalf of a complainant, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011. 

A designated person can be an MP, a local Councillor or a designated tenant panel.

A designated person can review a complaint themselves or refer the complaint directly to the Housing Ombudsman Service.

Alternatively, once eight weeks has passed from the complaint closure date a complainant may approach the Housing Ombudsman directly.

You can read more about The Housing Ombudsman Service in its helpful information leaflet.