Resident Handbook

  • Report a repair online

    The quickest way to report a repair is via our online contact form.

  • Report an emergency repair

    Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from a landline or mobile on freephone: 0800 3 282 282. 

    Please always report emergencies by phone.

    Check out our emergency repairs toolkit to find out if your repair is an emergency and what steps you can take.

  • What is an emergency?

    An emergency is an issue which threatens health, safety or security or could cause significant damage to your home including flooding or total loss of electricity or water.

    Please always report an emergency by phone on 0800 3 282 282. You can contact us to report an emergency on this number 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.


  • Tenants - repairs responsibilities

    As your landlord we are responsible for some of the repairs and maintenance to your home; however, some of these responsibilities are yours as the tenant. 

  • Homeowners - repairs responsibilities

    As a homeowner, you are responsible for the general repair and maintenance of everything inside your property. 

    There are some exceptions, find out more on our repairs responsibilities web page.

  • New-build repairs under warranty

    Find out how to report a repair during the warranty period on our web page.

  • Dealing with your repair

    If your repair is an emergency, we will be with you within 4 hours - but please note it may take up to 24 hours to carry out the 'make safe' repair.

    All non-urgent repairs will be attended to within 20 working days and arranged for the soonest available time slot convenient for you.

  • Report a communal repair online

    Communal repairs include issues outside your individual property, such as lifts, communal areas, gardening and door entry systems.

    The quickest way to report a communal repair is via our online communal repairs form.

    You can also contact us by phone.

  • Rechargeable repairs

    The vast majority of our tenants keep their homes in good condition, but where damage is caused deliberately or through neglect the repairs needed will be fixed at the tenant’s cost. These are known as ‘rechargeable repairs’.

  • Repairing fences, gates and boundary walls

    As the landlord, we are responsible for repairs in boundary fences, gates and walls which divide a Hyde property from a road or public footpath.

    We will not carry out repairs in dividing fences between neighbours, as these are the residents' responsibility.  We are not responsible for gates in dividing fences or a gate giving access to the rear garden from the front garden.

    Homeowners should check their lease for information on responsibilities.

  • Find your local repairs contractor

    We have different contractors depending on where you live, and the type of repair you need.

  • Disability aids and adaptations

    Aids and adaptations are alterations to make your home easier to live in, so you or a member of your family can enjoy more independence.

    We do this through the provision of an aids and adaptations service which is available to all housing association tenants who meet the eligibility criteria. 

  • MyAccount

    MyAccount is a free, safe and secure online service that can be used anytime, anywhere to manage your rent and service charge account. You can:

    • view your balance
    • make a payment
    • view, download and print your statement
    • update your details on the go
    Find out more on our MyAccount web page.

  • Ways to pay

    You can make a payment by Direct Debit, Allpay App, online (on the Allpay website), telephone, Hyde Payment Card, text message or recurring payment.

  • MyAccount - your online rent account

    MyAccount is a free, safe and secure online service that can be used anytime, anywhere to manage your rent and service charge account.

    You can:

    • view your balance
    • make a payment
    • view, download and print your statement
    • update your details on the go


  • What is a payment card?

    Your Hyde payment card looks like this. You'll need to use the payment reference number (PRN) when making payments.

    Hyde rent payment card

  • How can I get help with rent arrears and benefits?

    If you cannot pay your rent for any reason it is very important that you contact us straight away so that we can help you.

  • When do I pay my rent?

    Your tenancy agreement will state how often the rent is charged (normally weekly or monthly) and will state when you need to pay your rent.

  • Our online contact forms

    The quickest way to get in touch is to complete one of our online contact us forms.

    You can access our online forms via any device - your mobile, tablet or desktop PC. 

    You can also receive a copy of your online form submission by email, just tick the box before you 'submit'.

  • Phone

    Call us from a landline or mobile on freephone: 0800 3 282 282.

    Our Customer Services team are available 8am-8pm Monday to Friday.

  • When are the best times to phone?

    The quietest times to call are 10am-12pm and 2-4pm on Tuesday-Friday. Our busiest day is Monday.

  • Our social media channels


    @MyHydeHome   @HydeHousing


    The Hyde Group Official Facebook page



  • Post

    You can write to us at the following freepost address:



  • Our offices

    Find out where our local offices are based, and what times you can visit. Some offices accept visitors by appointment only.

  • How do I complain?

    We will always try to deliver a good quality service, but if you’re not happy with our response, the service we have provided, or our efforts to resolve your query, you can ask us to log a complaint.

  • All about service charges

    A service charge is a payment made by a tenant or homeowner towards the cost of services and repairs beyond those specifically for their house or flat.

    Find out more on our service charges web page.

  • Service charges - annual cycle

    • Service charge estimates are sent out between January to March each year.
    • Statements for the previous year are sent out by the end of September.

  • Your statement explained

    Visit our web page to help you to understand your service charge statement.

  • Service charge enquiries

    Take a look through our Service Charge FAQs, and if that doesn't answer your question, you can send us an enquiry online.

  • Where can I get help?

    We're here to help. If you're struggling with money, please get in touch. 

  • What is Universal Credit?

    Universal Credit (UC) is the most significant change to welfare benefits in recent years. We have a dedicated team of advisers available to help you understand UC and the claim process.

  • What is the Hyde Foundation?

    Hyde Foundation is the Hyde Group’s community investment department. The Foundation works in alignment with Hyde’s business needs, enabling operational cost savings that can be ploughed into funding our core social purpose – to put a roof over even more people’s heads.

  • What is the Hyde Charitable Trust?

    The Hyde Charitable Trust (HCT) works closely with Hyde Foundation to help target its funds to the residents and communities who are most in need and invests money in programmes and services that have the most impact on the lives and futures of Hyde residents and communities.

  • How can I find a job?

    Visit our web page to find out how you can get help with training and employment.

  • How can I get online?

    There’s so much you can do online – you can connect with friends and family, save money and learn about the things that interest you.

    Find out more on our web page.

  • How can I get help for domestic abuse?

    If you are a victim of domestic abuse, and wish to speak to someone, please call freephone 0800 3 282 282 and we will connect you to a Tenancy Officer.

    Alternatively, you can also complete our online form to request a call back at a time to suit you. Please be assured, we will not leave a voicemail or discuss your case with anyone else who may answer your phone.

  • External Wall Systems (EWS)

    Find out about External Wall Systems (EWS) assessments and forms or the answers to some of your EWS questions.

  • Building safety projects

    Find out about any building safety projects for your building.

  • Planned maintenance in our homes

    Every year we replace or improve many of our kitchens and bathrooms. 

    We don’t have a fixed timetable to replace or improve kitchens or bathrooms. Each kitchen or bathroom is in a different condition, and work always depends on how much each bathroom or kitchen has been used. 

    If your kitchen or bathroom needs fixing, please contact our repairs team.

  • My neighbour's  kitchen or bathroom has been replaced - when will mine be done?

    To ensure we get the best value for money for all our residents, we no longer replace kitchens and bathrooms on a cyclical basis. Each property will be considered on an individual basis, and we will attempt to carry out a repair before replacement.

    Please contact us if you believe that your kitchen or bathroom should be considered for replacement.

  • Stock condition surveys

    A stock condition survey is a visual inspection of the inside and outside of your home. Find out more about what this involves on our stock condition surveys web page.

  • Tenants - home improvements

    You can make improvements to your home provided certain conditions are met. If you wish to make improvements, you will need to complete an application form and supply us with any relevant documentation (such as building control, planning permission).

    Find out more on our home improvements web page.

  • Homeowners - improvements and alterations

    As a homeowner, you may want to carry out alterations and improvements to your home.

    However under the terms of your lease or freehold you must apply for our consent before commencing any work.

    Find out what you need to do on our web page.

  • Modernising our homes

    The Hyde Quality Standard gives residents unprecedented choice when their homes are being modernised. It involves residents fully in the replacement of their bathrooms, kitchens, windows and doors, giving them wider choice and allowing them to pay to upgrade certain items or to supply their own, fitted at no extra cost.

    Read all about it on our web page.

  • Cleaning and gardening services for communal areas

    Many of our residents receive cleaning and gardening services for which they pay a service charge. On a routine basis, these services include:

    • cleaning of communal areas
    • window cleaning
    • gardening, including cutting grass and pruning shrubs.

    When required, these services also include: 

  • Looking after your own garden

    If you have an individual garden at your home, it is your responsibility to keep this clear and tidy.,

    If this is not carried out you could be recharged for clearance and any associated costs such as pest control.

  • Find your cleaning and gardening contractor

    We have different contractors depending on where you live.

    You can find out who your local contractor is by reading the frequently asked questions section of our Cleaning and gardening services web page.

  • Waste disposal and recycling

    We encourage all our residents to dispose of waste using the correct bins; recycling wherever possible.

    General household waste and recycling is collected by your local council.

  • Starter tenancy

    For the first year as a tenant with us, you will receive a starter tenancy. This is also known as an assured short-hold tenancy. It is a short-term tenancy agreement and intended to last for 12 months.

    Find out more on our Starter tenancy web page.

  • Fixed-term tenancy

    If you’ve successfully completed your starter tenancy with us, you may receive a fixed-term tenancy. This is also known as an assured short-hold tenancy and is intended to last for a fixed period of time.  

    Fixed-term tenancies are different from the ‘lifetime’ tenancies, which have no set end date.

    Find out more on our fixed-term tenancy web page.

  • Standards for your new home

    When you move into your new home, we will ensure it meets certain standards, so that you are safe and secure. 

    Note that tenants are responsible for the internal decoration of their home.

  • Update household members

     If you wish to add or remove a household member from your tenancy, please complete our online form and we will make the changes.

  • Moving out of your home - ending your tenancy

    If you wish to end your tenancy, you'll need to give us four clear weeks notice in writing by completing our notice to quit form online.

  • Rechargeable repairs

    There are certain actions as a resident you are required to undertake prior to moving out of your home. We expect the property to be left in a good, clear and clean condition to enable us to quickly make the property ready for someone in need of a home to move into.

    If the house is not left in a good condition, you could be recharged.

  • Transferring your tenancy

    We can only consider passing your tenancy to your son/daughter in the event of your death, and only if they’ve been living with you for the previous 12 months. Each tenancy can only be passed on once – so if you’ve taken on a family member’s tenancy yourself – you won’t be able to pass it on again. 

    You can update your household members using our online form, or read more about succession and assigning your tenancy on our web page.

  • Pets in the home

    You will need to check your tenancy agreement/lease agreement to identify whether you are permitted to keep a pet in your home eg dogs, cats, reptiles or birds.

  • Death of a tenant

    Coping with the death of a friend or relative is never easy, and trying to deal with their affairs can be complicated and upsetting. Our web page gives you guidance to  help you through this difficult time by explaining what you need to do when a resident of one of our properties dies. If there is anything you are unsure of, please contact us.

  • Communal entry fobs

    If you've lost your fob to a communal area or you just need an additional set for other members of your household, please contact us. Before we provide you with a new fob, you will be required to confirm that you are a Hyde resident and make the required payment.

  • How can I get training for help with my tenancy?

    We know that moving home can be exciting but stressful. Our Key to Tenancy Success online training guide can help save you time and money during this busy time.

    You should have been sent an email with details about how to access the training when you signed up for your tenancy. However, if you did not receive this, please drop a line to [email protected] and we will send you log-in details.

  • Lease extension

    As your lease term decreases, there are associated negative implications that you should be aware of. This can include difficulties in selling or re-mortgaging as well as the decreasing value of the property itself.

    However, as a leaseholder or shared owner, you may have the opportunity to add a further 90 years to the existing term of your lease. This is known as a lease extension. A premium will be payable to Hyde to do this.

  • Purchasing the freehold

    There are eligibility criteria for purchasing the freehold to your property. Please visit our web page to find out more and to see if you qualify.

  • I need a sales or management pack

    If you are selling or re-mortgaging your property, your acting solicitors will request a sales or management pack (also known as a pre-assignment pack). Due to the Data Protection Act, we can only supply this pack to you or your appointed legal representative.

  • I'm a shared owner and I want to re-mortgage

    At some stage, you may wish to review your finances and make changes to your mortgage. Because of our financial interest in your home, Hyde must consent to any changes to your mortgage or lender. 

  • Major works and section 20 consultations

    If you have recently received a consultation notice from the Home Ownership Team we welcome your observations on our proposals.

    Please complete our online observations form.

  • What are qualifying long-term contracts?

    Qualifying long-term contracts are contracts that the Hyde Group enters into for longer than 12 months and where any tenant or leaseholder’s contribution will be more than £100 in any one year.

    The contracts can cover items like grounds maintenance, reactive repairs and servicing of equipment.

  • Subletting your home

    If you are a homeowner and you would like to rent your home to someone else, this is called subletting. You are required to register all sublets with us.

    If you wish to sublet your property you need to complete our online sublet registration form.

  • Buildings insurance for homeowners

    In most instances, we are obliged to insure the buildings that leaseholders and shared owners live in and you pay us for providing this cover in your service charges.

    Find out more and read the summary of cover on our buildings insurance web page.

  • Antisocial behaviour toolkit

    Use our antisocial behaviour (ASB) toolkit to work out what is and what is not antisocial behaviour, and what steps you need to take.

  • Reporting ASB

    Before you make your report, use our Antisocial behaviour toolkit to find out what steps you need to take.

    For emergencies that require immediate attention then please phone the police on 999.

  • Resolving problems with neighbours

    Many neighbours will naturally have different values or opinions and sometimes this can cause problems.

    We need to remember though, we all have a right to live our lives and part of being a good neighbour is about allowing some give and take.

  • How to get affordable home insurance

    The My Home scheme (PDF, 159KB) is a special insurance scheme provided by the National Housing Federation Thistle Tenant Risks and Allianz Insurance plc. and is available for all tenants and residents living in social and affordable housing.

  • Fire safety in your home

    As your landlord we're responsible for carrying out regular fire safety checks in communal areas.

    You should get to know the exit routes for your building, and whether the policy is to 'Stay Put' or 'Evacuate'.

  • Electrical safety in the home

    As your landlord, we are required by law to ensure your home’s electrical installation and wiring are safe when you move in and that they are maintained in a safe condition throughout your tenancy.

  • Gas safety checks

    As a landlord, we must make sure all gas appliances, flues and pipework within homes that we manage are safely maintained and checked once a year.

    Our gas service engineers need access to your home to carry out the annual gas safety check.

  • Staying gas safe

    Unless gas appliances are serviced regularly they can become dangerous and can kill. If your gas appliance has not been checked for 12 months it may be unsafe and you may also be in breach of your lease.

  • I can smell gas - what do I do?

    • Call the National Gas Emergency number on 0800 111 999 (24 hours) immediately from a nearby property (don't use a landline or mobile phone in the affected property)

    • Open all doors and windows

    • Turn the gas off at the meter (unless the meter is located in the cellar/basement)

    • Put out cigarettes and don't use anything with a naked flame

    • Don't use electrical equipment

    • Don't touch light switches – they might cause a spark

  • How to keep your home secure

    We’ve put together some simple tips to help keep your home and possessions secure.

  • Asbestos safety at home

    When asbestos is in good condition and not damaged it is not a danger. Once disturbed and its dust gets into the air is there a possible risk to health.

    Do not tamper with or touch any asbestos material.

  • Legionnaire's disease

    Legionella bacteria are found in streams, rivers and lakes. They are also found in soil, compost and mains water and can sometimes enter a home’s water system.

    Low amounts of Legionella are not harmful. Legionella is only dangerous if conditions are right for the bacteria to grow and if you inhale water droplets from a contaminated water system, find out more on our web page.

  • How we treat damp and mould

    Please let us know about the damp and mould issue in your home as soon as it happens, by reporting a repair.

    • If we can identify the cause (if there’s a leak, for example) over the phone or from the information you give us on the online form, we’ll arrange a repair
    • If we need to investigate further, a surveyor will visit your home to assess the extent of the issue, identify what remedial works are needed, take photographs and carry out immediate treatment
    • They’ll also give you some advice for dealing with the damp and mould, while we carry out remedial works
    • The surveyor will also ask you about any other problems in your home and if you need any additional support, so we can come up with an approach that fixes the damp and mould problem and prevents it coming back
    • We’ll visit your home six months after the remedial work is carried out, to make sure the damp and mould problem has been fixed once and for all.

  • Tenants - home improvements

    You can make improvements to your home provided certain conditions are met. 

    If you wish to make improvements, you will need to complete an application form and supply us with any relevant documentation (such as building control, planning permission).

  • Homeowners - home improvements and alterations

    As a homeowner, you may want to carry out alterations and improvements to your home. However under the terms of your lease or freehold you must apply for our consent before commencing any work.

  • Who is responsible for dealing with pests?

    It is your responsibility to keep your home clean, in good condition and free of rubbish that could attract pests. If you fail to do this, we could recharge you for dealing with pests in your home.

    You can follow our top tips for keeping your home pest-free.

  • How to have your say and feedback on our services

    Customer Involvement is about involving residents to improve the performance of our services through feedback, scrutiny and partnership working. If you want to make a positive difference, get involved!

  • Getting a car park permit

    All of our estate car parks are managed by UK Car Park Management (UKCPM).

    The transfer over to UKCPM happened throughout 2021 and early 2022. UKCMP have sent a letter to all customers regarding the change.

  • Not what you're looking for?

    If this hasn't helped answer your questions and you're still none the wiser, then we want to hear from you.

    Contact us


First choose a topic from the menu on the left.

Now choose a category from the menu on the left.