Waste disposal and recycling

We encourage all our residents to dispose of waste using the correct bins; recycling wherever possible.

  • General household waste is collected by your local authority on your designated collection day. If you have communal bins these will be collected from the bin store or at the boundary of your home. Please ensure that bin lids can close and that no additional items are left on top or next to the bin as your council may refuse to collect it. If this happens we will have to order our contractors to remove it, resulting in an extra service charge cost being applied.
  • Recycling at home is really simple and is something that everyone can do. Check your council's recycling collection day.

How to dispose of heavy or large items

Large or heavy items, such as furniture and white goods, cannot be taken on normal bin collection rounds. It is your responsibility for disposing or making arrangements for large items to be collected. However, most councils offer to collect these items from your home for a small fee or some are even free. Please contact your local council to find out more.

If your large items are in a good reusable condition, why not donate them to charity? Many charities accept saleable furniture and may even be able to collect it for you. Please contact charities directly for more information.

Large items should not be left on the street or in a bin store without arrangement (eg same day collection or next day). This is classified as fly tipping, which is an offence and can lead to prosecution.

Fly-tipping or illegally dumped bulk items

We define fly-tipping as: 

  • The unlawful dumping of liquid or solid waste on land or in water
  • Mismanagement or misuse of waste facilities
  • Deposit of bulky items such as old furniture e.g. bed frames and sofas. (You can find out if your estate cleaning contract covers the removal of bulky items by contacting your neighbourhood officer or taking a look at the cleaning information in your block.) 

If the item is on land owned by the local authority then it can be reported to them to arrange removal. 

To help us remove bulky items, please complete our general online reporting form, including a photo if you notice waste left on our land. Once we receive your report, we will arrange to have the items removed within four weeks. 

Fly tipping on privately owned land will be the responsibility of the private land owner and not Hyde. 

Find out more about our cleaning and gardening services.