Buying the loft space above your home

Sometimes it can be difficult and stressful to find a new home, especially if you have connections to the area you live in and have made it your home for a number of years.

If you are a homeowner and live in a top floor flat within one of our low-rise blocks (Edwardian/Victorian conversions), you may be able to purchase the loft space to extend your home.

If you wish to apply to purchase the loft space, you’ll need to complete the application form at the bottom of this page.

Some points to note before you apply:

  • The completion of the purchase will need to be done before you carry out any alterations. You can submit both your application to purchase, and your alterations plans at the same time to make it easier for you.
  • Your application will be dealt with by Hyde’s Home Ownership team. We’ll let you know that we’ve received your application, and ask one of our surveyors to inspect the loft. We need to check if any alterations will effect any communal services.
  • All our surveyors are RICS qualified. They’ll determine the price you’ll have to pay for the loft. This price is non-negotiable.
  • Once the valuation is carried out our solicitors will be instructed to begin the sale process. Legal costs will also be due. Our solicitors will confirm this with you. You’ll need your own solicitors to complete the transaction.

Further information on our alterations process can be found here: Improvements and alterations - homeowners | The Hyde Group (

Please select all the options that are applicable to you and your property
Provide a brief description of your proposed alteration
If yes, planning permission will be required for some types of work, contact your local authority for more information

Please tick this box to confirm
To receive the information you must include a valid email address in the box above

Communicating with you

Our privacy statement sets out how we look after your personal data.