Making a complaint

It’s up to all of us at Hyde to help you whenever you need us. We’ll listen to you, answer your questions and put things right.

If you’re having any problems, the quickest way to get help is to look at the FAQs below. You’ll find contact details for all the right people and lots of helpful information:

  • Need some repairs doing?

    Repairs in your home

    We are responsible for some of the repairs and maintenance to your home and some of these responsibilities are yours as the tenant. You can find out more on repairs responsibilities.

    Not a tenant? Take a look at our homeowner repair responsibilities page.

    If you need to book a repair the quickest way is via MyAccount, or use our online Report a repair form.

    Communal repairs

    If you’d like us to repair something in a communal area, we can get it done faster if you report it using our communal repair form. You can report problems with things like lifts, shared doors, and hallway lights.


  • Need some cleaning or rubbish removed?

    Communal areas

    If there’s something you’d like us clean up in a communal area, we can get it done faster if you report it rather than making a complaint.

    If you find graffiti, hypodermic needles or waste in a communal area, please let our our communal services team know and we’ll get somebody to come and clean it up right away.

    Please remember cleaning in your home is your responsibility.

  • Missed appointment?

    We’re sorry. Please report it using MyAccount or using our repair form and we’ll rebook it for you.

  • Affected by antisocial behaviour?

    Click through our guide to dealing with antisocial behaviour (ASB) to work out what is and what isn't antisocial behaviour, and what steps you need to take. 

    As this is not a complaint about Hyde, please do not contact our complaints team about antisocial behaviour.

  • Got a problem with pests?

    If you think you have a pest problem in your home or a communal area please contact us. Please remember, it's your responsibility to keep your home clean, in good condition and free of rubbish that could attract pests.  If you fail to do this we could recharge you for dealing with pests in your home.

    Please check our advice on dealing with household pests.

    If you find a colony of bees, please bear in mind that they are an important and declining species. We recommend you contact the Bee Protection Society, who’ll be able to remove the nest and give you expert advice.

  • Parking problems?

    Please check our dedicated parking page to see how to appeal against a parking charge, apply for a permit or ask a general question about parking

  • Need something fixing in the garden?

    Fence fixing

    We will fix a boundary fence – one that separates a Hyde property from a road or public footpath. A dividing fence that runs between you and your neighbours is your responsibility. Have a look at our fencing page to see whether fixing it is your or our responsibility.

    Caring for trees

    If you have a tree in your garden, maintaining it is your responsibility. Trees in communal areas are our responsibility, although we won’t trim or remove them just to increase light or views. If you think a tree in a communal area is diseased or poses a safety risk, please call us on 0800 3 282 282. Trees that have a protection order, or that are growing in a conservation area, can’t be cut down.

    Shed repairs

    Free-standing sheds are your responsibility, so we don’t repair them.

  • Need a repair to your kitchen or bathroom?

    If you report the problem using MyAccount or our repair form, we can certainly make any necessary repairs to your kitchen or bathroom. If repairs aren't enough then we'll replace the kitchen or bathroom. However, we won't replace a kicthen or bathroom if they're working and otherwise in good condition. 

    If replacement tiles, flooring, worktops or cabinets are required, we will seek to replace with the best possible match but there may be some colour or style variation.​

    Suffered a leak?

    If a leak causes damage, we won’t replace entire kitchen or bathroom units, but we will repaint the affected area.

  • Has something been damaged?

    You need to make claims for damage to your personal belongings through your home contents insurance policy. If you think we are liable for damage and you want to make a claim, please get in touch by calling Customer Services on 0800 3 282 282.

    If your home’s contents aren’t insured yet, we recommend using our special tenants contents insurance policy called the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme. We partnered with Thistle to create an affordable insurance scheme, which covers things like furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments. Find out more about the cover on Affordable home insurance or call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288.

  • Question about your service charges?

    There's lots of useful advice to help you understand your service charges on our dedicated webpages: Service charges

    If you can't find the answer you're looking for or you think there’s an incorrect charge on your statement then please talk to our dedicated Rent and Service Charges team by making an enquiry on MyAccount.

Unhappy with our service?

If you’re unhappy with the service you’ve received, you can give feedback or raise a formal complaint and we’ll do everything we can to put things right. You can get in touch by:

  • Logging into MyAccount - use our online customer portal to log a complaint and track its progress. You'll find it faster to report issues, as we’ll already have some details like your name and address.
  • Calling us on 0800 3 282 282 (8am to 5pm) and selecting option 4 to speak to a Customer Service Officer.
  • Writing to us at FREEPOST RESIDENTS MATTER. (Remember to use UPPER CASE).
  • Talking in person to one of our members of staff onsite.

When we’ll treat your request for a complaint as a service request

We comply with the Housing Ombudsman’s Complaint Handling Code, which requires us to distinguish the difference between a service request (a request for us to manage a new issue brought to attention for the first time) and service failure (where we’ve failed to deliver a service satisfactorily, despite being aware of an issue).

If you contact us for the first time about something that isn’t working properly in your home or is affecting your ability to live in your home peacefully, we’ll manage this as a service request. We’ll either get your issue fixed or support you to address the issue.

We’ll do this by raising a request for action to be taken via our case management system.

If you contact us because we’ve repeatedly let you down by not delivering the level of service we said we would and getting your issue fixed, we’ll manage this as a complaint.

Some examples of what would and wouldn’t be a service request:

  1. A customer calls to complain about a leaky tap. We’ll manage this as a service request and follow the appropriate steps to get the tap fixed by raising a works order for you. This will not be recorded or managed as a complaint.

When does it become a complaint?

It becomes a complaint when we’ve failed to fix the tap despite numerous visits.

  1. A customer calls us to complain about a noisy neighbour. We’ll manage this as a service request by supporting the customer to report this as antisocial behaviour (ASB)and guiding them on the appropriate steps to address the issue. We’ll raise this as an ASB enquiry. This will not be recorded or managed as a complaint.

When does it become a complaint?

It will become a complaint when despite reports being made about antisocial behaviour, the customer feels that we’re not managing the case well or we have failed to keep in contact with them.

  1. A customer calls us to complain about a missed appointment. We’ll manage this as a service request by booking a new appointment at a time suitable for you. This will not be recorded or managed as a complaint.

When does it become a complaint?

It will become a complaint when we’ve failed to attend multiple appointments and the problem hasn’t been resolved.

  1. A customer calls to query their service charge/rent or they have a query about the charges. We’ll manage this as a service request in the first instance and will raise an enquiry to the service charge/rent team to respond to you.

When does it become a complaint?

It will become a complaint when we’ve failed to respond to you within the agreed period of time and you haven’t received any communication.

Read more about our complaint process, the Housing Ombudsman and our complaints policy (PDF 250KB)

Why have we added raising a complaint online to MyAccount?

Managing your complaint this way is a much-improved process for you, and will make us more efficient.

  • You'll be able to see all the details of the complaint from start to finish, including any progress updates.

  • You'll find it faster to report issues, as you’ll be logged in and we’ll already have details like your name and address.

  • We’ll be able to keep you, and the teams dealing with your case, in the loop much easier with updates sent directly to your account.

We’re building more features into our new and improved MyAccount all the time. Sign up to MyAccount now to start managing your home online.