Posted on 27 March 2023
The Social Value Leadership Group (SVLG) is a network of social value leads from over 30 housing associations, local authorities and other organisations working in the housing sector. The group is leading the way in maximising social value from our supply chain, for the benefit of our customers and communities.
What is social value?
In line with the Public Services (Social Value) Act 2012, social value is generated when a supplier we have appointed makes a contribution that has a positive economic, social or environmental outcome. It connects customers and communities with much needed resources and opportunities, made available through our supply chain. This could be financially or in other ways such as:
- providing employment and training opportunities
- transforming or building community spaces
- providing expert advice to small businesses or technology support to local schools
- delivering carbon reduction initiatives.
But, whatever we do, by working together to build stronger communities, we achieve more than we could alone.
The aim of the SVLG
The SVLG is working together to:
- maximise social value delivery and benefits for customers and communities
- extend best practice, knowledge and expertise to drive innovation and continuous improvement in the delivery of social value through procurement
- set standards and raise the social value expectations of the housing sector
- solve challenges, drive positive change and create a better future for our customers and communities
- measure and communicate the collective impact of our work.
Chichi Onyenemelu, Hyde’s Social Value Manager, and Chair of the SVLG said: “The SVLG is the first of its kind – we’re working collaboratively to lead the way in fully integrating social value into the culture of organisations. We want to put social value at the centre of the procurement process – so it’s not seen as an optional ‘add on’ or afterthought.
“We all work closely with our customers to understand their needs and priorities and provide advice and guidance to our supply-chain partners. This will help ensure that the social value delivered makes a positive impact. We’re already transforming communities through social value, but we know that we can do more.”
Coming soon – Social Value Week
From Monday 17 April to Friday 21 April, all SVLG member organisations will be posting features and stories to highlight the importance of social value. There will be different themes each day, and the week will be rounded off by a special social value awards ceremony. Watch this space to find out more.
Find out more about the SVLG and its members.