Skip to main content
Tuesday 16 October 2018

We are aware there is a water issue at Laker court in Stockwell. We currently have specialist contractors on route to tackle the issues tonight. We apologise for the inconvenience caused. We will update residents as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Please remember you can raise any non-emergency enquiry via our online contact us forms.


Disability aids and adaptations FAQs

Do I have to pay for the minor adaptation work to be completed?

No, minor adaptations up to £1000 will be paid for by us, subject to meeting our criteria. Some minor adaptations can be agreed over the phone, for example lever taps. Works above this will need further assessment and maybe a referral to an occupational therapist.

How do I request a minor adaptation?

You can request a minor adaptation by contacting us.  

Will I need to be referred to an occupational therapist before I can have adaptation work completed?

For some more complex adaptations, you may need an occupational therapist referral. 

How long will it take for a minor adaptation to be completed?

We aim to complete straightforward adaptations, such as lever taps and grab rails within 20 working days from your request. More complex jobs may take longer.

Do I have to pay for a major adaptation?

Once assessed and approved, major adaptations will usually be funded through a Disabled Facilities Grant dependant on whether or not you meet the eligibility criteria and pass their financial assessment.

Will I need an occupational referral for a major adaptation?

Requests for a major adaptation will always need to be accompanied by an occupational therapist's assessment.

Will I have to pay for an occupational therapist assessment?

No, this assessment is free of charge.

How long will it take for a major adaptation to be completed?

The whole major adaptation process can be very long due to the high demand on this service. Our surveyor may be able to give you an indication of approximately how long you may have to wait when you make an application based on our recent experience with your local authority, however this can differ as the waiting list is held with the local authority for grant funding and not with Hyde.

How can I find out what’s happening with my request for a major adaptation?

Most major adaptations are funded by Disabled Facilities Grants, they are reliant on available council budgets. You can phone your council directly to receive an update on your application or your assigned adaptions surveyor can contact the council on your behalf.

How will I know when the adaptation is being fitted?

The contractor will contact you by phone to arrange a convenient date and time to start.

Can I request an aid and adaptation if I am a homeowner?

No, but you can apply for an adaptation under a Disabled Facilities Grant direct with your local council.

Will you always be able to meet my request for an adaptation?

No, sometimes it is not practical for us to carry out adaptations to your home, because of its size, construction, location or the amount of adaptations required. In these situations we may encourage you to move to a property more suited to your needs, or one that is more easily adapted.

Can you guarantee I will have my minor adaptation work agreed?

Minor adaptations are funded through an annual budget set aside purely for this purpose, however when this budget is spent it may be necessary to add your name to a waiting list until the next year’s budget becomes available. If this is the case, you will be advised of this decision at the time of your request and contacted again when we are able to proceed.

Are there things that the housing association are not able to help with?

Yes, we are unable to provide equipment such as bath aids and commodes, as these are provided by social services. We will let you know if this is the case and will be able to direct you to your local authority or health authority who may be able to assist.

What happens if my request for a Disabled Facilities Grant is refused?

If your request for a DFG is refused, Hyde may be able to fund the adaptations for you, subject to available budget and specific approvals.

Do I need to ask for permission from Hyde to adapt my property if I am funding the adaptation myself?

Yes, you must ask for permission before making any major adaptations to your home.

Will Hyde consider adaptations to communal areas?

Yes, adaptations to communal areas will be considered and will be subject to an occupational therapist referral, available budget and specific approvals.

Will I be asked for feedback following completion of my adaptation work?

Yes, our surveyors will undertake post inspections or call directly to obtain feedback to improve our services. These surveys are optional.

If I am in rent arrears will my adaptation still be approved?

This will be dependent upon the amount of rent arrears and if you are currently reducing these. If you are sticking to your agreed plan to reduce your arrears then normally we will still give permission for them to proceed. If you are not sticking to your payment plan then it is likely we will withhold permission until your rent arrears are reduced or cleared. We will look into each case’s individual merit.

Aids and adaptation guide (PDF, 1.16MB)