Skip to main content

Who to contact when someone dies

As well as informing people who were close to the deceased, such as relatives and friends, and the deceased's employer, solicitor/accountant and school/college (if relevant) in many cases you'll need to close down accounts, or cancel or change insurance details, subscriptions, agreements, payments or direct debits.

Here's a list to help you keep track of who you may need to inform.

Government organisations

  • The relevant Tax Office
  • National Insurance Contributions Office if they were self-employed (to cancel payments)
  • Child Benefit Office (at latest within eight weeks)
  • lLcal council if they paid rates, had a parking permit, were issued with a Blue Badge for disabled parking, or received social services help, attended day care or similar
  • UK Identity and Passport Service, to return and cancel a passport
  • DVLA, to return any driving licence, cancel car tax or return car registration documents/change ownership

Financial organisations

  • General insurance companies - for example, contents, car, travel or medical
  • Any other company with which the deceased may have had rental, hire purchase or loan agreements
  • If the deceased was the first name on an insurance policy, make contact as early as possible to check that you are still insured
  • Pension providers/life insurance companies
  • Banks and building societies
  • Mortgage provider
  • Hire purchase or loan companies
  • Credit card providers/store cards

Utilities and household contacts

  • Landlord or local authority if they rented a property
  • Any private organisation/agency providing home help
  • Utility companies if accounts were in the deceased's name
  • Royal Mail, if mail needs re-directing
  • TV/internet companies with which the deceased had subscriptions
A step-by-step guide to what do to after someone dies available from