We want everyone to enjoy living in their home and we would ask all residents to be both considerate and tolerant. We would first suggest you have a friendly word with your neighbour as they may not be aware their pet is causing a disturbance. We've put together some tips to help you resolve issues with neighbours. You can also download our Dear Neighbour cards.

If you still feel you are being disturbed, we suggest you contact the local Environmental Health Officer. Should they take enforcement action, we will use this as evidence against the dog owner if appropriate.

If the behaviour is persistent (continuous periods lasting over 30 minutes a day for at least 5 days within one week) and you do not feel safe approaching your neighbour, or you have tried and the situation has not improved, once you have contacted the local Environmental Health Officer, please complete our diary sheets with dates and times of the incidents. You can do this by hand or by post, but it may be quicker to do this electronically and attach them when completing the incident report form

If you have concerns about the welfare of a pet, you should contact the RSPCA.

If you are reporting other pet behaviour such as dog fouling, please use our general enquiry form


Return to the ASB toolkit