How do I report an emergency?
Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from a landline or mobile on freephone: 0800 3 282 282. Please always report emergencies by phone. (See other ways to contact us with a general non-urgent enquiry.)
What is an emergency?
An emergency is a repair which threatens your health, safety or security or could cause significant damage to your home including flooding or total loss of electricity or water. See what to do if you can smell gas.
How quickly will we attend to your emergency repair?
If your repair is an emergency, we will be with you within 4 hours - but please note it may take up to 24 hours to carry out the 'make safe' repair.
Once we have completed the 'make safe' repair, a further appointment will be made to carry out a permanent repair.
- Call the National Gas Emergency number on 0800 111 999 (24 hours) immediately from a nearby property (don't use a landline or mobile phone in the affected property)
- Open all doors and windows
- Turn the gas off at the meter (unless the meter is located in the cellar/basement)
- Put out cigarettes and don't use anything with a naked flame
- Don't use electrical equipment
- Don't touch light switches – they might cause a spark