Skip to main content

Repairing fences, gates and boundary walls

Who is responsible for repairing gates, fences and boundary walls?

As the landlord, we are responsible for repairs in boundary fences, gates and walls which divide a Hyde property from a road or public footpath.

We will not carry out repairs in dividing fences between neighbours, as these are the residents' responsibility.  We are not responsible for gates in dividing fences or a gate giving access to the rear garden from the front garden.

What is a boundary fence?

A boundary fence separates a property from a road or public footpath. See image for an example of a boundary fence separating Hyde property from a road.

What is a dividing fence?

A dividing fence separates a property from the neighbouring property or properties. It is the resident’s responsibility, and Hyde will only attend to carry out a 'make safe' repair and removal.

Who is responsible for my fence?


If your fence divides an individual Hyde property from a private owner or tenant, then Hyde will need to establish ownership before advising further. If the dividing fence belongs to the private owner or tenant, then it is their responsibility to repair it. If it’s shared with another Hyde property then we will expect you to carry out basic repairs, but Hyde will make safe and remove fencing if it's dangerous.

Homeowners and shared owners

As each lease/freehold agreement will provide for differing responsibilities on walls/fences there is not one single rule for homeowners. Check your lease and title plan for information on your responsibilities, and if you'd like us to have a look at your title deeds, contact the Home Ownership team on and we can confirm your responsibilities.

You can report issues with boundary fences or gates via our report a repair form.