In some areas, service charges have increased due to increasing legislation and regulation particularly around health and safety. This has been particularly true in blocks of flats where a number of high profile cases have put the spotlight on the safety of residents. New regulations have led to an increase in fire servicing and equipment testing, emergency lighting, electrical and legionella testing, plus other health and safety tests. We are now also under a duty of care to carry out a Fire Risk Assessment on all internal communal areas to minimise the risk of fire and to regularly check asbestos in our properties. As a responsible landlord, we take the safety and security of our residents very seriously and will not compromise.
Changes to cleaning and gardening services
Between May and September 2016 we put in place new cleaning and gardening contracts across all our areas. This was the result of a long process of consultation with residents and competition between potential contractors. We were helped throughout this work by a Resident Procurement Panel whose members worked to develop the specifications and to assess potential new contractors.
Why is Hyde renewing its cleaning and gardening services?
Our aims in renewing these contracts have been to:
- Comply with legal requirements to tender services so customer can be sure they are competitive and offer value for money
- Involve residents in choosing contractors and checking performance
- Offer a standard specification to guarantee a good service to all customers, which is flexible to local requirements
- Reduce the number of contractors we work with so we can manage services more effectively
- Make service charges more accurate and easier to understand
- Get more out of contracts, for example training for residents and ‘green’ initiatives
What are these services?
Estate services are the services you receive from Hyde in the communal areas of your building or estate, inside and out. This includes communal cleaning, window cleaning, gardening, removal of bulk refuse, pest control and tree works, amongst other things. These services are all paid for through service charges. Not all residents receive the same services as they are specific to where you live. This does not include services you receive from your local council eg bin collection.
For further information about the services provided to your block or estate can be found on our Cleaning and Grounds Maintenance Page