I can smell gas what do I do?
How can I keep my home safe?
Read our gas safety tips and advice in the safety pages of our website.
Gas safety checks - our responsibilities
As a landlord, we must make sure all gas appliances, flues and pipework within homes that we manage are safely maintained and checked once a year. Our gas service engineers need access to your home to carry out the annual gas safety check.
- By law, we arrange a gas safety check every 12 months.
- Over 99% of our residents allow our contractors into their homes to complete the annual gas safety check year in, year out.
- We will normally be in touch several weeks before the anniversary date to arrange an appointment and make sure that the check is completed before the anniversary date.
- All of our checks are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer - they all carry an ID card. You can always call us to check that we have sent the engineer to your home, but you can also check an engineer’s qualifications at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500
- Find out who the gas contractor is for your area
Note that before the service can be carried out it is your responsibility, as a resident, to ensure you have gas and electricity credit on your meters, as the service cannot be completed without gas and electricity being available.
To book your annual gas service please contact us.
Find out more about the gas safety check in our gas safety leaflet Better Safe Than Sorry.
Your responsibilities if you sublet your home
If you sublet your home for less than seven years you are responsible for meeting the landlord's statutory obligations under the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.
This means you must:
- Ensure that all gas appliances, installation pipe work and flues for which you are responsible, are in a safe condition.
- Arrange for your gas appliances and flues to be checked for safety every 12 months.
- Ensure the work is carried out using a Gas Safe registered fitter by asking to see a current registration certificate or ringing Gas Safe Register for an engineer on 0800 408 5500 or online at www.gassaferegister.co.uk.
- Keep a record of all safety checks carried out for at least two years after the safety check.
- Ensure your sub-tenant receives a copy of the gas safety check record within 28 days of the inspection.
- Ensure any new sub-tenant receives a copy of the current gas safety check record before they move in for the first time.
- Provide us with a copy of the Gas safety Certificate.