Skip to main content

Coronavirus - rent and payments

Last updated 14 April 2022

Please tell us as soon as possible if you’re having difficulty paying your rent, or your financial situation has changed, so we can give you the help and support you need. Contact us online or by phone - we are here to help.

While we expect customers to continue to pay their rent and service charges, we understand that some people are struggling financially. If you find yourself in this situation, please get in touch so we can come up with affordable ways for you to keep up with payments and clear any arrears.

What if I have less income now?

If your income has been disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, you may be able to claim benefits or get more money on top of your current benefits. This could be because:

  • You can’t work because you have coronavirus 
  • You’re earning less because you can’t go to work
  • You’re self-employed and you’re earning less
  • You’ve lost your job.

The government website has a dedicated area for work and financial support, where you will find advice specific to your situation.

The coronavirus benefits information pages on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website can also help you understand what you may be entitled to.

Please be aware of a potential rise in scams during this time. Do not give money or personal details to anyone you don’t know or trust. You can find more information on protecting yourself against a scam on our website.

What if my benefits application is delayed?

The DWP is getting lots of calls at the moment, as more people are applying for benefits like Universal Credit, which may delay your claim and payment.

Please let us know when you’ve applied for benefit support and we won’t take action on your arrears while you wait for payment, as long as you continue to work closely with us to progress your payment plan. Our income team will stay in touch with you regularly; note they may contact you after 6pm on weekdays and between 9am and 6pm at weekends.

Once you’ve started a claim online, the DWP will call you to continue the application. It’s important to speak to the DWP adviser as soon as possible but be aware this call will come from an unknown number and the DWP can’t leave you a message.

Where can I go for further help and advice?

You can apply for financial support via the Government’s Coronavirus web pages by clicking on Work and financial support.

The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website has lots of advice on benefits and budgeting.

The Shelter website also has advice and support for people with rent, benefits and money problems and information on claiming benefits.

How to get in touch

If you need any further information or support, contact us online or by phone.