Skip to main content

Help with paying your energy bills

We've listed a number of places below where you can go for help with energy costs for your home. However, if you’re worried about your finances or struggling to pay your rent or bills, please get in touch with us and we can help. Our expert team of advisors specialises in providing money, benefits, and debt advice. Reach us by filling in our online form or give us a call on 0800 3 282 282 and select option 3.

Energy Price Cap

The new energy price cap came into effect on 1 April 2022, with an increase of 54% on the cost of gas and electricity per year. The current advice from experts is to remain with your existing energy supplier and stay on the standard variable tariff. That’s because most new fixed tariffs are currently above the price cap. If you’re on a fixed term tariff, you may wish to move to the standard variable tariff when your energy contract ends. The market is changing rapidly, so it’s a good idea to check your energy costs regularly.

Warm Homes Discount

The Warm Homes Discount a one-off £140 deduction from your electricity bill between September and March. You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill, rather than your electricity bill, if your supplier provides both your gas and electricity. Visit Warm Homes Discount to find out if you’re eligible and if your supplier supports this scheme.

Winter fuel payment

If you were born on or before 26 September 1955, and receive a state pension or another benefit, you may be eligible for the Winter fuel payment to help towards your heating bills. Payments, of between £100 and £300 (depending on your circumstances) are made automatically between November and December, usually by mid-January. To find out how to claim, visit Winter fuel payment on GOV.UK

Cold weather payments

You could receive £25 if the average temperature in your area drops below zero for seven days in a row. You may be eligible if you claim certain means-tested benefits. Visit Cold weather payments on GOV.UK for more details.

Energy bill rebate

The Government has announced support to help households with higher bills. A £400 upfront discount will be added to domestic energy bills from October 2022, which won’t need to be repaid. This rebate applies to customers who are directly billed by their energy supplier. Find out more on the Energy Bills Rebate factsheet on GOV.UK.

Additionally, households in Council Tax bands A to D will get a £150 Council Tax rebate from April 2022 (that’s about 80% of all households). This won’t have to be repaid.

If you pay your Council Tax bill by Direct Debit, the rebate will be paid directly into your bank account. If you do not pay by direct debit your council will contact you to confirm your preferred payment method, or for you to make an application to claim the rebate. For more information check out GOV.UK.

Connect for Help scheme

The Warm Homes Fund’s free Connect for Help scheme supports households in England to reduce their energy bills and check the benefits available to them. It also provides links to support, public services and charities in your area. Apply online via Connectforhelp or call free on 0800 029 4548.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Bureau has advice on energy saving in your home and how to get help with paying bills on the energy pages of its website, where you can also find out what to do if your energy supplier goes bust.

Switching energy supplier

While it’s difficult to find cheaper energy deals at the moment, if you’re thinking about switching suppler, USwitch is a great place to start.

More information on switching supplier is also available from Ofgem.

Reducing energy use to help keep your bills down

We’ve also pulled together some handy tips to help reduce your energy bills. Check out our energy saving tips webpage. 

Return to top