The Old Laundry – working together to improve your community space
Welcome to our dedicated page for the Old Laundry, Stockwell. Please bookmark this page to stay up to date on the work we’re doing to improve your community space.
Latest update – 4 July 2022
Our specialist contractor Asbestech started work to remove asbestos from the Old Laundry’s basement on 6 June 2022 and Phase 1 of the work is due to finish early July 2022. This is slightly later than originally planned because of a water leak, which we’re investigating.
This work involves:
- Removing asbestos pipework lagging
- Safely stripping asbestos from walls and ceiling using jets of grit and water (this wets the asbestos fibres, reducing the risk to operatives)
- Dismantling, wrapping and removing boilers
- Removing non-asbestos waste
- Cleaning the boiler room and the basement floor
- Pumping out waste water to a tanker and clearing up.
All asbestos waste will be safely stored in specialist skips before it’s taken away. The team will be wearing protective clothing and breathing apparatus, and we’ll be testing the air quality throughout.
Once Asbestech is finished, we’ll begin refurbishment of the ground and first floors of the building.
Project: What we're doing
We must carry out urgent works to remove asbestos from the Old Laundry, so it's a safe for everyone to use. We’re also taking the opportunity to refurbish the building, so it can be a great community facility for Stockwell, for years to come.
We expect work to last 16 weeks, due to the complexity of the project and the strict health and safety precautions we must take. Asbestos removal will take about eight weeks, with building improvements after that.
We’ll only be working during the daytime and we’re making every effort to minimise disruption but, unfortunately, some disturbance is unavoidable.
The site will remain fenced off throughout the project, which means you won’t be able to park at the front and back of the Old Laundry until work is finished.
We’re also carrying other improvements in the area, including:
- Upgrading lighting in Stockwell Gardens West, to improve the environment on and around the green and under croft
- Repairing pavements around Huxley, Thring and Morant Houses
- Working on balconies to bring them up to the latest safety regulations.
Schedule of events
While the works are taking place, we have found temporary space for all the groups that currently use the Old Laundry. Part of the ground floor at Cassell House will be used by the Young People Matter charity and community meetings such as coffee mornings will also be held there. Other events, such as the Bingo, will be temporarily relocated to the Stockwell Centre.
Get in touch
If you have any questions relating to the improvement works at The Old Laundry, please email us at email@example.com