Everyone enjoys the festive cheer that a Christmas tree and decorations can bring to a home. But the sad fact is that all this can act as extra fuel for a potential house fire.
Top tips for preventing fire in the home
- Test smoke alarms and CO detectors to check that they are working.
- Close inside doors at night to stop a fire from spreading.
- Don’t overload your plug sockets with electric heaters or fairy lights. Remember to turn everything off at night.
- Turn off and unplug electrical appliances unless they are designed to be left on e.g. your fridge or freezer.
- Check your cooker is turned off and don't be tempted to cook your Christmas turkey overnight.
- Don’t leave the washing machine or tumble dryer on. Switch them off.
- Turn off free-standing electric heaters.
- Put candles and cigarettes out properly. Do not smoke in bed.
- Make sure your exits are kept clear, dispose of your rubbish and do not let it build up.
- Keep door and window keys where everyone can find them in an emergency.
- Have a torch ready to use in case of a power failure. Do not use candles.