Skip to main content

Rechargeable repairs

As your landlord, Hyde is responsible for some of the repairs and maintenance to your home by law and you can check this in your tenancy agreement and find out more by visiting our repairs responsibilities page.

The vast majority of our tenants keep their homes in good condition, but where damage is caused deliberately or through neglect, the repairs needed will be fixed at the tenant’s cost. These are known as ‘rechargeable repairs’.

We do not want tenants who look after their homes to pick up the bill for others who cause damage deliberately or through neglect. Therefore when any rechargeable repairs are identified, we will discuss this directly with the tenant who must agree to undertake the repairs at their own cost or pay Hyde to do them.

Who is responsible for damage to your property?

Tenants are responsible for any damage caused accidentally, deliberately or because of neglect by you or other members of your household, including visitors, pets or contractors hired by you. This also applies to the removal of any fixtures and fittings that have been provided by Hyde, for example - internal doors or bannister rails.

DIY and home improvements

You must apply for permission before carrying out alterations and improvements to your home. All work will be inspected and must be done to our satisfaction. 

If the work is unsatisfactory, you will have to repair the damage or provide a replacement, but if we have to carry out the remedial work you will be recharged for the total cost of the work plus any administration costs.

Your safety remains of paramount importance to us as your landlord, so in the case of gas and electrical works, we would not give permission for work to be completed by anyone other than Hyde’s registered contractors.

Find out more on our making improvements to your home page.

What if the damage was an accident?

You are responsible for any accidental damage. You may be able to claim the cost of repairing this damage through your own household contents insurance. You should check with your insurance company. If you cannot carry out the repair and we have to do so, we will charge you for the work.

Do I have to contact you if damage is caused accidently?

Yes, you will need to report the repair to us; you will be asked how the damage was caused and you will be notified if a recharge will be due.

Security of your home

You are responsible for the security of your home. If repairs are required due to misuse, neglect or carelessness. These will be recharged. We will secure the property if required and recharge you for this and any replacement of glass. You will also have to pay if keys are lost or stolen and we have to replace them

Rechargeable repairs include:

  • Loss of door keys or fobs
  • Broken glass to windows
  • Disengaging window restrictors
  • Misused work surfaces
  • Missing cupboard doors
  • Damaged doors and walls
  • Damaged electrical sockets

See below for photos showing some of the examples of rechargeable repairs we have listed above. Click on the image to see a larger version of the image.


Home emergencies

If you call our out of hour’s service and it is established that there is to be a recharge, we will write to you to confirm the cost of the recharge.  Examples include:

  • Damaged electrical sockets
  • The contractor attends and finds that it is your appliance that has tripped the main fuse and this wasn’t checked
  • A smashed wash hand basin or toilet
  • A blocked toilet, kitchen sink or bath through inappropriate use.

Please note that if you report any emergency out of hours and our contractor attends and establishes it is a non-emergency job we will charge you for a call-out fee on top of any work completed.
During normal working hours, you will be advised when the contractor will be calling. You will be required to wait in until someone arrives. If you are unable to stay at your property and you are out when we call but have not made any arrangement with us, you will be recharged for missing the appointment.

What if the damage is caused by crime?

If you have been an innocent victim of crime and criminal damage has been caused, you must report it to the police and inform us of the case reference number. You may be able to claim through your own home contents insurance for loss or damage caused as a direct result of theft or attempted theft (for example forced entry/exit). You will need to check this with your insurance company.

What if the police force entry into my home?

The police may need to force entry to your home to detect or prevent crime. If evidence of a crime is detected by the police, the cost of any repairs is your responsibility as a tenant/leaseholder. If there is no evidence of a crime, there will not be a recharge.

Will I be recharged if a leak from my property damages the flat below?

If the leak was due to damage or neglect and this is established, then we will look to recharge you.