Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions about your rent

  • How are social housing rents set?

    The Government requires housing associations and councils to use a formula to set their rents for secure, assured and fixed term tenants who pay social rent. This means that different landlords in an area will charge similar rents for similar homes.

    As part of the 2013 Government spending round, the government set out how increases in both social and affordable rents will be calculated over the next 10 years starting from 2015/16.  This is called Formula Rent.

    Formula Rent is based on a combination of:

    • property values (as at January 1999)
    • average salaries in the local area
    • property size (number of bedrooms)

    Using this combination means rents for similar properties in the same area will be the same.

  • How is my rent worked out?

    General Needs and Affordable Rent Tenancies

    From April 2016, if you live in social housing your rent will be reduced by 1%.

    Supported Housing Tenancies

    If you live in Supported Housing, you will be excluded from this 1% decrease.

    Therefore, from April 2016, Supported Housing will increase using the Consumer Price Index (CPI) plus 1%.

    The CPI figure used is from September 2015 when it was -0.1%. This means the increase will be 0.9% (CPI of -0.1% + 1% = 0.9%). So if your weekly rent is currently £100.00 the weekly increase will be £0.90.  This is the breakdown:

    • £100.00 x 0.9%  = £0.90
    • £100.00 + £0.90 = £100.90
    • New rent will be £100.90
  • My rent is set at intermediate or market rent. How will my new rent be set?

    Market rent is based on the average local market rate for the type of property you rent. Your charge will reflect any changes to the local market. If your rent is an intermediate market rent it will be set at 80% of the local market rate.

  • What is a Section 13 notice? Does it apply to me?

    If your tenancy started before 1 April 2014 and your rent is increasing, we will be serving a Section 13 notice which provides details of your proposed new rent.

    The Section 13 notice also explains your right of appeal to the Rent Assessment Committee (part of the Residential Property Tribunal Service) for a market rent to be determined. If you wish to appeal you must do so before the date the increase takes effect.

    If your tenancy started after 1 April 2014, we can only increase your rent if your tenancy agreement includes a formula for reviewing your rent. We may increase your service charge, if it is variable.

    If you are unhappy with the level of your rent increase, you have the right to appeal to the Rent Assessment Committee. The Committee is a legal body with legislative powers to settle disputes in relation to the level of rent amongst other things. It is an independent decision making body which is completely unconnected to the parties or any other public agency. The Committee will look at the matter of the rent dispute for the property following an application or a referral made to it. You can contact any office in writing, by telephone, via e-mail, or you can visit their office. Please kindly visit for the contact details of the regional office that covers your area.

  • What is happening with my service charges?

    In order to ensure the most accurate service charges are applied, changes to your service charges are calculated separately to your rent change. You will receive a separate letter notifying you of any changes in March 2016.

  • When do I pay ground rent?

    If you are liable to pay ground rent (as detailed in your lease) you will be issued with a legal notice requesting payment no more than 60 days before payment is due. If you are due to pay ground rent you will receive notification of this in a separate letter

  • My rent and service charges are too high at the moment. What can I do about it?

    The Government’s rent policy sets formula rents which Hyde follows using the prescribed yearly formula as shown earlier. Service charges are based on the services you receive and, in some cases, a contribution to a reserve account for future works. This, too, cannot be changed.

    If you have concerns about being able to pay your rent and service charge please call Hyde’s Customer Services team on 0800 3 282 282.

  • I have received my rent review letter but my rent is paid by Housing Benefit. Do I need to do anything?

    We provide details of rent increases for all residents that are in receipt of Housing Benefit at the time your rent change letter is sent out.  It is however your responsibility to ensure that your Housing Benefit is changed accordingly.

  • I have received my rent review letter, but my rent is paid by Direct Debit. Do I need to do anything?

    Your Direct Debit will be automatically adjusted and you should receive notification from Allpay in April 2016. Your Direct Debit instruction will be updated from your May 2016 payment.

    If you are on partial Housing Benefit and pay by Direct Debit, we will have to wait for the Housing Benefit department to tell us what your new entitlement is before we can make the change.

    It is your responsibility to ensure that your Direct Debit has been increased correctly to cover the full charge that you need to pay.

  • I have received my rent review letter, but my rent is paid by standing order. Do I need to do anything?

    Yes, you are responsible for telling your bank about the new rent and service charge and it is important that you do so. You may wish to consider moving to Direct Debit so that the change happens automatically in future.

  • What happens if I don’t pay my rent and/or service charge?

    Payment of your rent and service charge must be first on your list of outgoings. This is because non-payment can result in you being evicted from your home. You must contact us if there are any changes to your circumstances which affect your ability to pay your rent. We try to prevent this happening by helping you with budget advice and benefit applications, but rent payments are your responsibility and it is you and your family who are at risk of losing your home. Although we do not evict many tenants, we do sometimes have to. Payment of rent and service charge is not optional. If you need help please contact us, we are here to help you.

  • What method of payment can I use to pay my rent or service charge?

    See our ways to pay page.


Can't find it?