- Always ensure surfaces are clean and dry. Wash down doors and skirting boards.
- If walls are dirty wash down with warm soapy water or soda crystals and ensure completely dry.
- If painting a wall which has a dark colour already applied, apply one coat of white undercoat emulsion before applying a pale colour.
- Rub down doors and skirting boards with sandpaper/abrasives.
- Fill in any holes and sand down.
- Cover all furniture and flooring to protect from paint spillage.
- Mask around windows to avoid unwanted dribbles on to the glass.
- Satinwood paint is for use on woodwork.
- Emulsion paint/acrylic eggshell paint is for use on walls and ceilings.
Application – walls
- Use a small brush (2”) to cut in, starting at a top corner to paint the edger of the wall. Continue the rest of the wall with a larger brush or roller. Then working from the wet edges, paint in broad bands away from a corner with a larger brush or a roller. Apply each fresh load of paint next to the last application, so you are always working from a wet edge.
Application – woodwork
- Mask off door accessories and wedge the door open.
- Paint the door before the frame. If you are painting each side.
- It is best to paint windows in the morning to maximise the drying time. Depending on drying conditions you will be able to close the windows at night.
- Remove curtains and any window dressing to prevent damage. Remember to mask off window handles.
- Paint window sills.
- If you intend to use the roller sleeve the next day, wrap in cling film or in a plastic carrier bag tightly.
- If intending to use the brush the next day which you have used with gloss paint again you can wrap in cling film or in plastic carrier bag and tightly wrap.
- When painting skirting boards, protect the floor with a piece of card fitted between the skirting board and floor. Move it along as you progress around the room or use masking tape.
- To clean the roller sleeve wash in luke warm soapy water and then rinse.
- Clean roller tray in luke warm water.
- Clean the brush in the brush cleaner.
- Do not use the roller sleeve, tray or brush again until completely dry.
Find out more about decorating your home at a discount.