Under most tenancy agreements and leases, you will need to get our written consent before keeping any pets, eg dogs, cats, reptiles or birds in your home. We will not refuse permission unreasonably, however it is unlikely we will grant this where requests are made to keep a dog in a flat or other property which does not have the sole use of a garden. We will take the number of existing pets in the property and the type and size of the property into account when making a decision.
You must remove any pet which causes a nuisance or damages your home or any shared area. If we give permission, we may withdraw it by giving you one week’s written notice if the pet is causing a nuisance or damage.
You must not keep livestock or unlicensed or illegal exotic or wild animals in the property (including any garden provided).
Guidelines for pet owners
When asking for permission, you will be asked to agree to the following guidelines.
- Pets must be kept under control at all times.
- If a dog fouls in any area it should be cleared up immediately and disposed of in the correct manner.
- Pets must not cause nuisance or disturbance to any other persons or animals.
- Commercial breeding from our properties is not permitted.
- Dogs must wear a collar and tag and be appropriately handled at all times.
- By law, all dogs must be micro-chipped. Owners are required to submit the chip number and a copy of the chipping certificate (the Dogs Trust has more information about where dogs can be chipped for free at Chip my dog.)
- Dogs must be kept on leads in all communal/estate areas at all times and must not be allowed in areas designated for children.
- If residents go away on holiday, are absent or vacate the property for any substantial period of time, they must make suitable arrangements for pets to be cared for and nominate a carer who will take responsibility for the pets during this absence.
- Pets must not cause damage to any Hyde property or the environment. The cost of any damage caused by a pet will be charged to the owner/tenant.
- Pets must be kept under control whilst Hyde staff, agents or contractors are visiting the property. Pets must be kept in a separate room where requested by Hyde staff, agents or contractors.
- If a dog has access to a garden, that you keep the garden boundaries secure so as to stop the dog escaping.
Want to keep a pet?
Complete our pet permission form here, or contact us to request a copy.
Read our top tips for responsible pet owners here.