Skip to main content
Bank holiday closure - Monday 29 May

Our Customer Services team will be signing off for the bank holiday weekend at 8pm on Friday 26 May , and will be back on Tuesday 30 May at 8am. Our normal out of hours emergency service will be available during this time on 0800 3 282 282.

Remember that you can raise all non-emergency enquiries via our online contact us forms.

Close

Keeping your home safe from fire

Posted on 27 February 2017

Did you know most domestic fires start when people are cooking? Accidents can happen, but you can help prevent this by never leaving pans unattended when cooking, ensuring driers are adequately ventilated, ashtrays emptied frequently and ensuring cigarettes or candles are not lit or unattended.

Our Property Services Contract Manager Dominique Gastrell-Ivanoff says: “Half of domestic fires start in the kitchen. Accidents can happen but you can help prevent fires by limiting the use of chip pans, for example, and never leaving pans unattended when cooking.

“Another major cause of domestic fires is faulty electrical items. It is important that chargers are suitable for the device being charged and that extension leads have fuses and are not overloaded. Also, you should never leave the tumble dryer on when you go to bed or go out.”

Residents should test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors every week by pushing the test button, Dominique adds. “If there is a continuous beeping, the detector may be faulty and you should call us on 0800 3 282 382 to arrange for it to be replaced.”

It also important that fire doors are kept closed, to make sure they protect residents and visitors. “Fire doors shouldn’t be wedged open and if you see one open, please close it,” Dominique says. “If a fire door is always held open, or you think there is an issue with it, call us on 0800 3 282 382 so that we can investigate.”

For more advice on home fire safety, visit our home safety page.

Can't find it?