Skip to main content

Are you covered?

Posted on 09 November 2016

Beena Pastakia, our Group Insurance Manager, says: “It’s important for our residents to consider getting insurance cover to protect their furniture, clothes, TVs and other possessions, as Hyde cannot be held responsible for damage to personal belongings should there be a fire, flood, an act of vandalism, burglary or another event.”

Residents should check their tenancy agreement to see what other parts of their home is their responsibility (such as decorations) before buying insurance cover, Beena explains.

“This will ensure you are fully covered if something is damaged, should the unexpected happen to your home. Your tenancy agreement or lease sets out what repairs Hyde is contractually obliged to do and those for which you are responsible – which can include redecoration of your home and replacement of damaged items."

Home contents insurance can be expensive but the National Housing Federation’s My Home insurance cover is designed specifically for social housing residents.

“Of course, residents are free to choose with whom they take out insurance cover. However, My Home is easy to obtain and is affordable, with no excess and a number of cover options tailored to social housing residents,” Beena says.

For more information, visit our home insurance page; the My home scheme website or call My Home on 0345 450 7286.