Posted on 19 October 2016
Follow our tips to look after yourself this winter:
- Make sure you get your free flu vaccine if you are eligible (eg: people with long term health conditions, pregnant women, children aged 2-4, those aged 65 and over and carers). Check if you are eligible at nhs.uk/staywell
- Keep yourself warm – heat your home to least 18C and wrap up warm inside and out
- Try to make sure that you have hot meals and drinks regularly throughout the day and keep active in the home if you can
- If you start to feel unwell, even if it’s just a cough or a cold, then get help from your pharmacist quickly before it gets more serious
- Make sure you get your prescription medicines and stock up on cold weather remedies before pharmacies close for Christmas
- Always take your prescribed medicines as directed
- Look out for neighbours or relatives who may need a bit of extra help over winter. If you're worried about a relative or an elderly neighbour, contact your local council or ring the Age UK helpline on 0800 00 99 66.
- Make sure you are receiving any benefits you are entitled to, such as the Winter Fuel Payment and Cold Weather Payment.
For more information see nhs.uk/staywell