Skip to main content

What happens when you swap your home

  • What happens when you receive my application?

    When we receive your completed initial request to exchange form we will reply to you at first within 5 working days. We will then check you and your proposed partner's eligibility for exchange and inform you of the outcome. If you receive our initial approval to exchange, then you and your partner will be required to complete a full application form. Once we receive the full application form, we will arrange a time to inspect your home with you. The incoming tenant will also need to attend this inspection.

    We will check for any alterations, repairs or damage that may become the responsibility of the incoming tenant, or which may need to be fixed before you move. As this is a visual inspection whilst your home is occupied, other items may become apparent once the property is empty.

    We will then write to you with our findings and tell you about any improvements or damage which you will become responsible for if the exchange goes ahead.

    If you are moving to another Hyde property we will ask you to sign to agree that you take responsibility for any alterations, repairs or damage we may have found. You must ensure you are able to repair or replace these if necessary in the future before you sign.

    You will also become responsible for clearance of any items left in the property by the previous tenants.

  • Are there any other conditions?

    Yes. Before the exchange can go ahead:

    • You must be up to date with your rent payments. You will not be able to exchange if you have rent arrears
    • You must have no history of causing a nuisance or antisocial behaviour
    • Your home must be in good condition

    If you want to exchange with the tenant of another housing association or council we will have to provide a written reference for your tenancy to them. They will do the same for their tenant.

  • Could my application be refused?

    We will not unreasonably refuse an application for a mutual exchange.

    Grounds for refusing consent to the exchange

    • When any rent lawfully due from a tenant under one of the existing tenancies has not been paid.
    • When an obligation under one of the existing tenancies has been broken or not performed.
    • A court order for possession or a suspended possession order has been made for either property.
    • The landlord has served a notice of seeking possession and the notice is still in force, or possession proceedings have commenced.
    • The property is substantially larger than is reasonably needed by the proposed assignee.
    • The property is not reasonably suitable to the needs of the proposed assignee and their household.
    • The property is part of or close to a building that is held for non-housing purposes, or it is situated in a cemetery and was let in connection with employment with the landlord or with a local authority, a new town corporation, housing action trust, an urban development corporation, or the governors of a grant-aided school.
    • The landlord is a charity and the proposed assignee’s occupation of the property would conflict with the objectives of the charity.
    • The property has been substantially adapted for occupation by a physically disabled person, and if the assignment went ahead a physically disabled person would not be living there.
    • The landlord lets properties to people in difficult circumstances (other than merely financial circumstances) and the proposed assignee would not fulfil this criteria.
    • The property is let to people with special needs and there is a social service or special facility nearby to the properties to assist people with those special needs, and if the assignment was to go ahead no person with those special needs would be living there.
    • The dwelling is the subject of a management agreement where the manager is a housing association of which at least half the members are tenants subject to the agreement and at least half of the tenants of the dwellings are members of the association, and also that the proposed assignee is not such a member nor is willing to become one.
    • An injunction order under section 153 of the Housing Act 1996 or an antisocial behaviour order or a Demotion Order or a possession order under Ground 2 for secure tenancies or Ground 14 for assured tenancies is in force or an application for one of those is pending either against the tenant, the proposed assignee or a person who resides with either of them.

    It is illegal to pay anyone to persuade them to exchange tenancies with you.

    If you are a joint tenant, we must have the written permission of all joint tenants.

  • When will you make your decision?

    By law, we must make a decision within 42 days of receiving your completed full application form.

    You are required to complete the initial request to exchange form so the Tenancy Team can check that both parties meet the criteria. We will respond to your initial request to exchange within 5 working days of receiving it. Once this has been reviewed, we will send you the full application. The 42-day period starts at the point we receive the full application form back from you.

    If we refuse your application, we will write to you within 42 days of receiving your application to explain why we have refused and tell you how you can appeal.

  • What happens after my application is approved?
    • We will carry out gas safety check once the incoming tenant moves in. This will be arranged during the assignment process.
    • We will arrange an appointment for all parties to sign the assignment documents.
    • We will arrange for the exchange to take place on a date which is suitable for everyone involved.

Find out more about eligibility for home exchange on our swapping your home page.