We are looking to recruit a General Counsel to provide leadership and strategic legal advice on all our legal issues, with a primary focus on real estate deals, JVs and other innovative solutions.
- Location: London Bridge
- Salary: £93, 500 - £121,700 per annum
- Contract type: Full time, permanent
- Closing date: 29 November 2020
Hyde is one of the UK’s largest housing providers, working across London, the South East, East Anglia and the East Midlands. With a turnover of £450m and 50,000 homes under management, Hyde provides services to more than 100,000 customers.
The role of General Counsel is a newly-created one, that is pivotal in helping us become a truly brilliant, commercially astute business. We want do-ers, proactive individuals who step forward in the face of challenges, inspire others and make it easy for them to take action. We want professional people who aspire to be part of a brilliantly run social business, who will make tough decisions, provide exceptional legal knowledge and solutions and relish the challenges that face them. We want ambitious people, those who see no limits to what we and our customers can achieve. And we want people who are open to dealing with the real issues, to new ways of solving our business challenges and to instill best practice at the heart of our in-house Legal team.
- To lead the provision of legal services within Hyde, delivered through internal and external resources, in a relevant, cost effective, commercially focused and timely manner, to support the Hyde Group’s overall mission of 'a great home for everyone'
- Work closely with the development teams to ensure we structure our contractual relations with our various development partners in such a way that protects and optimises our interests and supports the desired outcomes for our customers. This will be delivered mainly through external resources, but the General Counsel will be expected to use their experience to challenge and guide our external advisers.
- The General Counsel will also lead an experienced, high calibre team of in-house legal professionals, providing housing related financial services to support Hyde operations.
- This role will be supporting the Executive team on matters of key strategic, financial and reputational importance to Hyde.
- To ensure all our legal services provide Value for Money (VfM) in line with our regulated standards.
- Strong business acumen
- Support and advise on innovative deal solutions and support execution
- Structure and document various investment vehicles for private investment capital
- Negotiate and document non-recourse financing facilities on developments
- Support negotiations and documentation for land acquisition and real estate transactions
- Support, advise and manage legal risks on new and complex build typologies
- Pursue claims relating to building performance to ensure appropriate accountability to our customers
- Lead and manage team of in-house legal professionals pursuing a variety of legal claims
- Achieve financial savings for in-house legal services team in line with agreed budget
- Ensure the in-house legal team deliver financial savings and benefits in line with agreed budget
- Management of external barristers and solicitors on the panel
- Ensure legal advice is delivered and legal action is taken in line with business need and services delivered
- Meet SLAs, promoting collaborative working across teams
- Mentor, coach and support the team, developing capabilities and role modelling expected behaviours
- Manage performance of the team ensuring objectives are set to deliver the corporate strategy
Why would you want to work for Hyde?
- We offer a 35-hour working week, 28 days holiday, an excellent pension, an award-winning flexible benefit and wellbeing package and the opportunity to work for a commercially-focused organisation with a strong social conscience.
- Significant emphasis is placed on our staff’s wellbeing and we encourage a work life balance.
Closing date for applications: 29 November 2020
Apply online now