Skip to main content

Citizenship advice

EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status)

The UK has left the EU. if you are from the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or a Swiss citizen then please read the following guidance from

After Brexit EU Nationals need to have ‘Pre-settled’ or ‘Settled status’ to be able to access and keep some of the rights in the UK.

Getting your status will prove your right to:

  • Stay in the UK for more than 3 months
  • Work
  • Study
  • Use the NHS
  • Access public funds such as benefits and pensions
  • Rent a home

EEU Nationals with Permanent Right to Reside

If you already have permanent residence status, you still have to apply to the EU Settlement scheme.

If you have the certificate/card to prove it, then they will find it easier to get 'settled status'.

Don’t forget your children

You can apply for settled or pre-settled status for your child if they’re under 21 and either:

  • They are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • They are not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but you are - or your spouse or civil partner is
  • The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway
  • Your child can also apply for themselves

For updates on the above and on how and when to apply, see the links below:

Guidance for EU citizens and families

Information in other languages