Skip to main content

Managing your tenancy

What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

Your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, and our responsibilities to you as landlord are set in your tenancy agreement. These will include the following:

  • Paying your rent and any other charges on time
  • Ensuring that you, your family and visitors do not cause nuisance or annoyance to other people living in the local area
  • Keeping the inside of your home clean and in good condition (see full list of Repairs responsibilities)
  • Keeping all shared areas clear of rubbish and obstructions

Frequently asked questions

Can I move home if I owe rent or service charges?

No. You’ll need to clear any arrears before you are eligible to apply for an exchange or transfer.

Can I swap my home with another tenant?

Most people with a secure, assured lifetime or 5-year fixed-term social housing tenancy in their name are eligible for a home swap. However, there are some conditions - you must not have rent arrears, a history of antisocial behaviour, or have broken any of the terms and conditions of your tenancy. Find out more about swapping your home.

Can I give my tenancy to my son or daughter?

We can only consider passing your tenancy to your son/daughter in the event of your death, and only if they’ve been living with you for the previous 12 months. Each tenancy can only be passed on once – so if you’ve taken on a family member’s tenancy yourself – you won’t be able to pass it on again.

Can I add someone else to my sole tenancy?

We will grant joint tenancies on request by any two persons living together as partners, regardless of gender or marital status, depending on the terms and conditions of the particular tenancy agreement and subject to our procedures.

Applications for joint tenancies can be considered providing you have no rent arrears and that the proposed joint tenant has resided at your address for at least a year (with your Hyde Group landlord’s knowledge).  The one year rule does not apply if the proposed joint tenant is your spouse or civil partner.

In order to make the best use of the housing stock for both existing and future residents, applications for joint tenancies between other relatives will usually be refused (e.g. between mother and daughter, brother and sister).

How do I end my tenancy?

If you intend leaving your home permanently you must give us at least 4 weeks’ by completing our notice to quit form.

Do I have the right to buy my home?

Visit our Right to buy web page to find out more.

Can I have a lodger?

Yes you can have a lodger as long as it doesn’t take the number of occupants above the maximum number as set out in your tenancy agreement. You’ll also need our written permission first.

Can I keep a pet?

Unless you live in a property with its own private garden, you’ll need our permission to keep a pet.  Visit our pet permission web page to find out more

Can I make improvements to my home?

Yes you can – as long as you’ve got an assured tenancy (sorry we can’t give permission for starter tenancies). However, you’ll need to get our consent first, and if applicable you must get planning permission and comply with building regulations. Any works must be carried out by qualified tradesmen. Any electrical works must be carried out by a qualified electrician and a certification number. Complete our home improvements and alterations form to request any changes you wish to make.

I've lost my tenancy agreement

You can contact us to ask for a copy of your tenancy agreement, please note there may be a charge for this service.

What is tenancy fraud and how are Hyde tackling it?

This is when a property is occupied by those who have no right to live there. It means that people in desperate housing need are denied a roof over their heads. Not only is this unfair, it is illegal.  Find out how you can help us prevent tenancy fraud.

Can't find it?